Pocahontas Cons. Collieries & Pocahontas Fuel Co IncInv# MS1046 Stock
Color: Or, Gr
Mining Stock. 2 types. Pocahontas Fuel Co & Pocahontas Consolidated Collieries Co. Both have exceptional Pocahontas & Indians vignette. Stub at left. Rare! Pocahontas Consolidated Collieries Company From April 1st, 1911, the fuel needs of the Isthmian Canal Commission and the Panama Railroad were largely supplied under contract with the original Pocahontas coal produced by the Pocahontas Consolidated Collieries Company, Incorporated, and from a few other coal mining operators in the Pocahontas and New River fields of Virginia and West Virginia. Contracts for the supply of more than half a million tons annually for the work on the canal were awarded to the Pocahontas Fuel Company, of New York City, the selling agent of the original Pocahontas producers. The first contract was for one year from April 1st, 1911, and such was the satisfaction given that on the first of April, 1912, a second contract was awarded for the entire estimated period for the completion of the canal, namely, to October ist, 1914. The producers of this coal congratulate themselves that their fuel as a power producer was a strong factor in the remarkable record of construction at Panama. Pocahontas coal is produced in southwestern Virginia and southeastern West Virginia within a distinctly limited area, where, however, there are more than a billion tons of this coal still available for mining. Mining was first commenced at the famous Pocahontas Baby Mine, which is still operated, in 1882, and since that time the opening of new collieries has proceeded steadily until almost the entire Pocahontas field is being mined. The Pocahontas Consolidated Collieries Company alone has nineteen mines in full operation, the output of which is nearly thirty per cent. of all Pocahontas coal marketed. The officers of this company are Isaac T. Mann, president; Charles S. Thorne, first vice-president; Jenkin Jones, second vice-president; James Ellwood Jones, general manager; and George W. Woodruff, secretary and general counsel. Pocahontas Fuel Company Incorporated West Virginia's southern coal fields were not opened until about 1870, though they were known to exist much earlier. One of the major southern coal fields was the Flat Top-Pocahontas Field, located primarily in Mercer and McDowell counties. The Flat Top Field first shipped coal in 1883 and grew quickly from that time. Operations were consolidated into large companies, and Pocahontas Fuel Company, organized in 1907, soon dominated the other companies in McDowell County.