Mount McGregor Railroad Co. Issued to Lucy W. Drexel - Autograph Stock CertificateInv# AG2527 Autograph
Stock Issued to Lucy W. Drexel. Possibly related to owners of Drexel and Company? Further research necessary. Very Rare! Some tape stains.
There are two lakes on the mountain, Lake Bonita and Lake Anna, which were previously used for fishing. The mountain was originally called Palmertown Mountain, named by a band of Native Americans who moved to the area from Massachusetts escaping from the aftermath of King Philip's War. It was renamed after Duncan McGregor purchased it for back taxes and built a hotel called the Mountain House in 1876.
In 1881 McGregor sold the mountain to the Saratoga, Mount McGregor and Lake George Railroad, owned by Joseph William Drexel. Drexel constructed a narrow-gauge railroad from Saratoga Springs and built the Hotel Balmoral at the summit with accommodation for 300 guests. In 1897 the hotel burned to the ground.
In 1885 Drexel loaned his friend, seriously ill former president Ulysses S. Grant, the use of his personal cottage on the mountain. Here Grant spent the last six weeks of his life struggling to finish his memoirs before he died. The cottage, preserved exactly as it was at his death, is now the Grant Cottage State Historic Site and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Read more at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_McGregor_(mountain)