Skip to main content

Lake Shore Railway Company signed by John Devereux

Inv# AG1578
Lake Shore Railway Company signed by John Devereux
State(s): Ohio
Years: 1869
Stock signed by John Devereux as president. Born in Wexford in 1840, John Henry Devereux came to the U.S. in 1860 and after some years as a craftsman, established himself as a designer of residential and institutional buildings in Charleston. He built up a clientele that included local churches (of all denominations) and public building projects. Although the dominant Irish church architect Patrick Keeley was retained to design the original Catholic Cathedral of St. John and Finbar in 1848 and its current replacement over forty years later, Devereux was commissioned by Bishop Patrick Lynch to design and supervise the interim or pro- cathedral completed in 1864 after fire destroyed its predeccessor. Devereux was also responsible for (among other buildings) St. Matthew's Lutheran Church on Marion Square, and the Freemason's Hall in King Street. The U.S. Post Office/Federal Court building at the junction of Meeeting and Broad Streets, was undertaken in 1887 at a time when he was also a superintending architect of the U.S. Treasury. As a resident of Sullivan's Island, where he owned the impressive Moultrieville overlooking the beach, he was involved in the design and construction of the Stella Maris Church. He lived and worked at this Wentworth Street address, just down the street from St. Peter's Catholic Church which he also designed, and a few blocks from where his compatriot and fellow-architect James Hoban had established himself sixty years before. He died in 1920. In October 1867, the Cleveland, Painesville and Ashtabula Railroad leased the Cleveland and Toledo Railroad. The CP&A changed its name to the Lake Shore Railway on March 31, 1868, and on February 11, 1869 the Lake Shore absorbed the Cleveland and Toledo. On April 6 the Michigan Southern and Northern Indiana Railroad and Lake Shore merged to form the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway, which absorbed the Buffalo and Erie Railroad on June 22, giving one company the whole route from Buffalo to Chicago. The main route passed through Dunkirk, New York, Erie, Pennsylvania, Ashtabula, Ohio, Cleveland, Ohio, Toledo, Ohio, Waterloo, Indiana and South Bend, Indiana.
Condition: Excellent
Item ordered may not be exact piece shown. All original and authentic.
Price: $75.00