Skip to main content

Collection of 6 Mining Stock Certificates and 2 Mining Prints - Dated from 1850's-1970's - Collection of Mining Stocks and Prints

Inv# MS2144   Stock
State(s): California
Maine
Montana
New York
Years: 1850's-1970's
Color: Multicolored

Collection of 6 Mining Stocks and 2 Mining Prints. NEW YORK BINGHAM MINING CO. UTAH Acquired property and assets of New Utah Bingham Mining Co. Office of treasurer: H. A. Bellows, Suite 711, No. 53 Park- Row, New York City. Mine office: Bingham Canyon, Utah. Officers: T. B. Beacher, pres.; H. A. Bellows, treas.: R, L. Reisch, sec.: with P. T. Bi-llows. 1. W. Thompson, E. S. Hums and H. F. Hoevel. director^ Inc. Nov. 19. 1918. Cap., $200,000; shares 20c. par; 73,648 shares outstanding, March, 1920. Bonds: of old company outstanding when property was taken over. $14.000. Stock was exchanged share for share. Annual meeting, November 17. Property: 20 claims, 19 patented. 130 acres adjoining the Telegraph of the United States Mining Co.. in Bingham Canyon, Utah.

Claims cover about 3,000' along the footwall portion of the Jordan limestone ore-bearing zone of Bingham. The large orebodies of this district are found in fissures within th- limestone, or along limestone contacts, and the Jordan belt is the most productive of the 3 belts known in the camp; 16 fissure veins have been opened. Before the company acquired the property a number of promising veins carrying ore in the porphyry, but too narrow to be valuable, had been exposed. These veins pass into the limestone and are expected to have large orebodies at the contact. Ore is mainly silver-lead. Development: consists of about 15.000' of work, mainly by 3 tunnels. In the Turngren tunnel, over 1,300' long, 8 veins from 1 to 4' thick have been cut, 7 showing ore and 2 of them worked.

Bingham Canyon was a city formerly located in southwestern Salt Lake County, Utah, United States, in a narrow canyon on the eastern face of the Oquirrh Mountains. The Bingham Canyon area boomed during the first years of the twentieth century, as rich copper deposits in the canyon began to be developed, and at its peak the city had approximately 15,000 residents. The success of the local mines eventually proved to be the town's undoing, however: by the mid-twentieth century, the huge open-pit Bingham Canyon Mine began encroaching on the land of the community, causing residents to relocate. By the 1970s, almost the entirety of the town had been devoured by the mine, and the few remaining residents voted to disincorporate and abandon the community. No trace of Bingham Canyon remains today. Read more at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bingham_Canyon,_Utah

PARROT SILVER & COPPER CO. MONTANA. Office: Washington & Church Sts., Boston, Mass. Mine office: Butte, Silver Bow Co, Mont. Employs about 400 men. Chas. H. Dickey, president; Chas. D. Bun-age, secretary; John D. Ryan, managing director; Harry A. Galway, superintendent. Organized 1880, under laws of Montana, with capitalization $2,300,000, shares $10 par; issued, $2,298,500. Paid quarterly dividends of 50 cents per share on Sept. 12 and Dec. 12, 1904, l.i-' preceding dividend having been 50 cents, in January, 1902. Held an "annual" meeting June, 1904, this being first for 4 years, owing to injunctions from courts restraining meetings. Is controlled, through stock ownership, by the Amalgamated Copper Co., and like all other Amalgamated sub-companies, is engaged in exceedingly involved, costly and apparently interminable litigation, with the Heinze interests, over ownership of ore bodies.

The following table gives a summary of operations and results for the fiscal years ending June 30: 1903. 1904. Tons of ore extracted 253,284 165,408 Total cost of mining $710,831 $466,375 Total cost of transportation 45,591 29,773 Total cost of reduction 692,266 Paid for labor 771,701 676,629 Paid for machinery and supplies 631,396 330,260 Marketing, refining and seaboard expenses 220,814 29,773 Gross proceeds 2,255,869 1,270,627 Total expenditures 1,669,503 1,036,663 Net proceeds 586,366 233,964 Lands, 19 claims, mainly fractional, area circa 25 acres, well located in the central portion of the Butte district, the Parrot, opened 1884, being one of the pioneer mines of the camp. A barren zone occurs at a depth of about 1,000', but good ore bodies are found below.

Anglo-Californian Gold Mining Co., dated 1852 to 1853, Not cancelled. Choice Uncirculated with usual minor spindle holes. Approx. 7.5" x 8". According to Filer (Holabird), this was the largest foreign issue of a California Gold Rush venture that we know of. The company literally sold thousands of shares. The company began as the Anglo California Gold Mining & Dredging Co. in 1849., owned by Luke Williams. It was the last of Williams "gold bubble company promotions." Williams sent Henry Vere Huntley to Calaveras River in 1849. Huntely was unsuccessful, so he hired miners of the Quartz Rock Mariposa Gold Co. and arranged a deal with them. While he was in America, the name of the company had changed. The lack of progress and name changing made the directors of the company very suspicious, and they forced Williams out in April 1851. The new directors decided to crush and process ore mined by others, and sent two steam engines and crushing mills on the Augusta that year. [Ref: Filer and "Money Pits: British Mining Companies in the Californian and Australian Gold Rushes of the 1850s, pg 76-77, Woodward] (Prag Collection).

This was one of the companies formed by John C. Fremont to develop Mariposa Estate, which he purchased from Mexico in 1847. Like many 19th century companies, investment capital came from European investors (in this case the English). The California Gold Rush (1848 – 1855) began on January 24. 1848. when gold was discovered by James W. Marshall at Sutter’s Mill, in Coloma, Calif. News of the discovery brought some 300.003 people rushing to California from the rest of the United States and abroad. Of the 300,000. Approximately 150,000 (many from Europe) arrived by sea while the other half of them walked 1,500 miles overland.

Phelps Dodge Corporation was an American mining company founded in 1834 as an import-export firm by Anson Greene Phelps and his two sons-in-law William Earle Dodge, Sr. and Daniel James. The latter two ran Phelps, James & Co., the part of the organization based in Liverpool, England. The import-export firm at first exported United States cotton from the Deep South to England, and imported various metals to the US needed for industrialization. With the expansion of the western frontier in North America, the corporation acquired mines and mining companies, including the Copper Queen Mine in Arizona and the Dawson, New Mexico coal mines. It operated its own mines and acquired railroads to carry its products. By the late 19th century, it was known as a mining company.

Anson G. Phelps started a partnership in New York City during 1821 with Elisha Peck, a merchant who had been in trade in Berlin, Connecticut. Peck moved to Liverpool to run the British end of their business, an import-export company that shipped U.S.-grown cotton from the Deep South to England, importing tin, iron, copper and other metals essential for industrial growth and development in the United States. In 1834 Peck left the business and was replaced in Liverpool by Daniel James, who remained there until his death in 1876. It was at this time that the concern of Phelps Dodge and Company was begun. Read more at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phelps_Dodge

Homestake Mining Company was one of the largest gold mining businesses in the United States and the owner of the Homestake Mine in Lead, South Dakota. Founded in 1877, it was acquired by Barrick Gold in December 2001. Homestake was the longest-listed stock in the history of the New York Stock Exchange. George Hearst (father of William Randolph Hearst), Lloyd Tevis, and his brother-in-law James Ben Ali Haggin bought the 10-acre Homestake Mine from its discoverer, Moses Manuel, for $70,000, and incorporated the Homestake Mining Company on November 5, 1877. On January 25, 1879, the company became a public company via an initial public offering on the New York Stock Exchange, the first mining stock ever listed. Read more at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homestake_Mining_Company

The Anaconda Copper Mining Company, part of the Amalgamated Copper Company from 1899 to 1915, was an American mining company. It was one of the largest trusts of the early 20th century and one of the largest mining companies in the world for much of the 20th century. Founded in 1881 when Marcus Daly bought a silver mine, the company expanded rapidly based on the discovery of huge copper deposits. Daly built a smelter in Anaconda to process copper mined in Butte. Daly sold his assets in 1899 to H H Rogers and William Rockefeller.

By 1910, Amalgamated had expanded its operations and bought the assets of two other Montana copper companies. In 1922, Anaconda bought mining operations in Mexico and Chile; the latter was the largest mine in the world and yielded two-thirds of the company's profits. The company added aluminum reduction to its portfolio in 1955. In the 1950s, the company switched over from underground to open-pit mining. Read more at https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?search=Anaconda+Copper+Mining+Company&title=Special:Search&profile=advanced&fulltext=1&ns0=1

Read More

Read Less

Condition: Excellent

A stock certificate is issued by businesses, usually companies. A stock is part of the permanent finance of a business. Normally, they are never repaid, and the investor can recover his/her money only by selling to another investor. Most stocks, or also called shares, earn dividends, at the business's discretion, depending on how well it has traded. A stockholder or shareholder is a part-owner of the business that issued the stock certificates.

Item ordered may not be exact piece shown. All original and authentic.
Price: $210.00