Cle-elum Coal Co. - Mining Stock Certificate - Northern Pacific Archive - Washington StateInv# NP1052 Stock
Branch Line of the Northern Pacific Railroad. Read more at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Pacific_Railway
Coal Mines Trail is a pleasant, 4.7 mile, path that allows visitors to stroll in the footsteps of coal mining history. Though the trail actually starts in Cle Elum and extends to Ronald, it is easily accessible from Roslyn near the South-East end of Runje Field. The trail follows the path of the Northern Pacific Railroad branch line developed in 1886 to transport coal from the Roslyn/Cle Elum Coal Field. In 1887, the branch was extended to the #3 Mine where Ronald developed. The Roslyn/Ronald line was operated until 1986, and then in 1994, it began its conversion to this public recreational trail. (http://whyroslyn.com) Also available unissued at a lesser price. Please inquire if interested.
Cle Elum (/ / klee ELL-um) is a city in Kittitas County, Washington, United States. The population was 1,872 at the 2010 census. About 96 miles (154ákm) by car from Seattle, Cle Elum is a popular area for camping and outdoor activities.
Some assert that the selection of the Stampede Pass was determined by the coal discovery. In the spring of 1886 the railroad engineers under Mr. Virgil Bogue and Mr. Herbert Huson were making their survey through the region with the intent of establishing a station. At the site of the future city, a Northern Pacific Railway station was named Clealum after the Kittitas name Tle-el-Lum (tlielləm), meaning "swift water", referring to the Cle Elum River. Maps of the United States Postal Guide used two words while other early maps show it as one word: Clealum. In 1908, Clealum was altered to Cle Elum. The name was given to the river, the city, and Cle Elum Lake. Walter Reed entered into a partnership with Thomas Johnson of Ellensburg and laid out sixty-five acres as a site. This was legally dedicated on July 26, 1886. Mr. Johnson had owned a sawmill on Wilson Creek, in Grant County and he moved the mill to the new location in the vicinity of the new town. The partners, Reed and Johnson, established what was undoubtedly the largest mill up to that time in central or Eastern Washington, cutting 40,000 feet of board lumber per day. At the same time, Frederick Leonhard, who, with his brother-in-law, Gerrit d'Ablaing, had been carrying on a mill on Cooke Creek and later on the Naneum, moved to the vicinity of Cle Elum. They cut a large part of the lumber for the Stampede Tunnel. Cle Elum was officially incorporated on February 12, 1902. Read more at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cle_Elum,_Washington
A stock certificate is issued by businesses, usually companies. A stock is part of the permanent finance of a business. Normally, they are never repaid, and the investor can recover his/her money only by selling to another investor. Most stocks, or also called shares, earn dividends, at the business's discretion, depending on how well it has traded. A stockholder or shareholder is a part-owner of the business that issued the stock certificates.