Chicago & Erie Railroad Co. signed by J.P. Morgan, Jr. - Autograph BondInv# AG1520 Autograph
$1,000, 4% Gold Bond signed by J.P. Morgan, Jr. for J.P. Morgan Co. as Transfer Agent.
John Pierpont Morgan Jr. (September 7, 1867 – March 13, 1943) was an American banker, finance executive, and philanthropist. He inherited the family fortune and took over the business interests including J.P. Morgan & Co. after his father J. P. Morgan died in 1913.
After graduating from St. Paul's School and Harvard College, Morgan trained as a finance executive working for his father and grandfather. He became a banking financier, a lending leader, and a director of several companies. He supported New York's Society for the Lying-In Hospital, the Red Cross, the Episcopal Church, and endowed the creation of a rare book and manuscript collection at the Morgan Library.
Morgan brokered a deal that positioned his company as the sole munitions and supplies purchaser during World War I for the British and French governments, bringing his company a 1% commission on $3 billion ($30 million). He was also a banking broker for financing to foreign governments both during and after the war. Read more at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._P._Morgan_Jr.
The Chicago and Atlantic Railway, later the Chicago and Erie Railroad, was a railway in the United States which existed from 1871 to 1941, and was an important connection between the Columbus, Ohio metropolitan area and Chicago, Illinois.
The railway was formed in 1871 as the Chicago, Continental and Baltimore Railway, and renamed to the Chicago and Atlantic Railway in 1873. The western terminus was in the Chicago suburb of Hammond, Indiana, while the eastern terminus was at Marion, Ohio. The road suffered financial difficulties (particularly after a collision in 1887 outside Kouts, Indiana, which killed 10 people), and went through several internal reorganizations and name changes. It went through bankruptcy in 1890, and emerged as the Chicago and Erie Railroad with John G. McCullough as its president.
In 1895, the road was purchased by the Erie Railroad, but retained its name and identity until it was consolidated in 1941. Read more at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_and_Atlantic_Railway