Check Issued to P Remington dated 1858 - Autograph Check - Famous Gun Maker FamilyInv# AU1765 Check
Check issued to P (Philo) Remington. Small stain in upper corner.
In 1839 he joined his father's business, the name of which was already "E. Remington & Son". In 1845, when his brother, Samuel, also joined the firm, its name was changed to "E. Remington & Sons".
Phil was the manager of the mechanical department in his father's small-arms factory for over 25 years. He improved arms manufacture with the reflection method of straightening gun barrels and manufactured the first successful cast-steel, drilled rifle barrel made in the United States.
After his father's death, Philo headed the company and supplied small arms to the Union during the American Civil War.
He was active when the firm won the contract to manufacture what was then known as the Sholes and Glidden typewriter on March 1, 1873. Philo Remington retired in 1886.
He was the president of the village of Ilion, New York, for 20 years.
Remington was married and had two daughters.