Atchison and Nebraska Railroad CompanyInv# IM1019
Unissued Stock printed by Hooper, Lewis & Co., Boston. Rare! Only 1 available. On the 5th of May, 1867, a charter was filed in the office of the Secretary of State of Kansas, for the Atchison & Nebraska City Railroad Company, with corporators as follows: Peter B. Abell, George W. Glick, Alfred G. Otis, John M. Price, Will W. Cochran, Albert H. Horton, Samuel A. Kingman, Junius T. Herriford and Augustus Byram. The charter authorized the construction of a railroad "from some point in the City of Atchison, to some point on the northern line of the State of Kansas, not farther west than twenty-five miles from the Missouri River, and the length of the proposed railroad will not exceed forty-five miles." Upon the organization of the company, its name was changed to "Atchison & Nebraska Railroad company." Municipal subscriptions in bonds to the capital stock of the company were made as follows: Atchison County, $150,000; Doniphan County, $200,000. Individual subscriptions amounting to $80,000 were made in Atchison County, and $10,000 in Doniphan County. Work was commenced on the road at Atchison in the summer of 1869, and in the summer of 1871 it was completed to the northern boundary line of the State, three miles north of White Cloud, Doniphan County. The Atchison stockholders graded the road bed to the State line, constructed the bridges and furnished the ties for that distance, when the entire property was donated to a Boston syndicate, represented by James F. Joy, in consideration of the completion and operation of the road by said syndicate. On the 3d of November, 1871, this company was consolidated with the Atchison, Lincoln & Columbus Railroad Company, of Nebraska, which had been authorized to construct a road from the terminal point at the State line, of the Atchison & Nebraska Railroad to Columbus, on the Union Pacific Railway, by the way of Lincoln. From the State line the work was prosecuted vigorously and the road was completed and in operation to Lincoln in the fall of 1872. In January, 1880, the road was purchased by the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad Company, and since the consolidation of that company, in 1880, with the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company, it has been officially designated as the Atchison & Nebraska Division of the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad in Nebraska. Distance from Atchison, Kan., to Lincoln, Neb., 146.6 miles. Number of miles in Kansas, 37.24.
Item ordered may not be exact piece shown. All original and authentic.