Eliphalet Remington II or Jr. - signed Check - Founder of Remington and SonsInv# AG1365 Check
Eliphalet Remington (October 28, 1793 – August 12, 1861) founded what is now known as the Remington Arms Co., L.L.C. Originally the company was known as E. Remington followed by E. Remington & Son and then E. Remington and Sons.
Eliphalet Remington II was born in 1793 in the town of Suffield, Connecticut. He was the second child of four surviving children (but the only son) of Eliphalet and Elizabeth (Kilbourn) Remington, whose family origins lay in Yorkshire, England.
Eliphalet II followed in his father's footsteps and entered the blacksmith trade at the family's rural forge in Herkimer County, New York. The original family home at Kinne Corners, New York, built about 1810 and known as Remington House, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1997.
The younger Remington worked with his father in the forge, and at 23 he hand-made a flintlock rifle using a firing mechanism bought from a gunsmith, but constructing the barrel himself.
The rifle received such a response that Remington decided to manufacture it in quantity. By 1840, when his three sons began to take a more active role in the family business, he formed the firm of E. Remington and Sons, which he headed until his death in 1861.
The company continued to grow and to develop its product and gradually began the manufacture of other sporting goods, such as bicycles. At the present time, the company is known as the Remington Arms Co., Inc.
Eliphalet Remington was married to Abigail Paddock, and they had three sons, Philo Remington, Eliphalet Remington III, and Samuel Remington, all of whom followed their father into the family business. He donated substantial sums of monies to then newly established Syracuse University.